ACCSR at The Banksia Foundation’s Sustainable Development Goals & Australia
ACCSR attended ‘The Sustainable Development Goals & Australia’ event hosted by the Banksia Foundation & Sustainable Business Australia. Our very own Rebecca Jinks featured on a stellar discussion panel comprised of experts from leading companies. The panel shared their views on the Australian challenges and opportunities around the next era of sustainable development, the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (the SDGs).
Also included on the panel was Prof John Thwaites, Co-Chair of the Leadership Council for the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), Susan Mizrahi, Head of Corporate Responsibility & Stakeholder Engagement at Australia Post, Andrew Petersen, CEO of Sustainable Business Australia and Ramana James, Head of Group Shared Value, IAG.
The value proposition for business to embrace the SDG’s was clearly outlined by John Thwaites who cited the following reasons as to ‘why business should care’:
- It’s in their own interest in terms of reputation and bottom line
- SDG’s will be globally influential
- SDS’s help identify business opportunities
- They assist in building reputation with customers and staff
- They help identify and avoid risk
- SDG’s drive innovation
- They are an effective mechanism for driving return on investment